What Is Splooshed?
Splooshed provides water consumption data* for individual food ingredients or complete recipes.
We offer two services: an interactive water-impact calculator for foods and recipes and a Chrome extension that lets you see water data while browsing your favorite recipe sites.
Some Facts about California's Drought
- California is going through its worst drought in 1200 years.
- 80% of the amount of water available in California is used by agriculture.
- Yet only 1% of the California's GDP is produced by agriculture.
- 17 communities are in danger of running out of water within the next 60 to 120 days.
- Poor families already spending 1/5th of their household budget on food will be disproportionately affected by the drought.
What We Hope to Do About It
- Raise awareness about the disproportionate usage of water by California's agriculture industry
- Make it easier to make informed decisions about food purchases
- Identify the most water intensive crops and key agricultural offenders